General Manager / "Head of House" / Charity / ££ Excellent / Bath
One Queen Square, brought to you by St John's Foundation ('SJF'), is a beautifully restored Grade 1 listed building which is set to open in Autumn 2021. A new venture for St John's: an elegant Private Members' working space, with strong social purpose at its core, aligned to our ten-year strategy of supporting every child, from 0 to 12 years old, to grow into healthy, happy members of our community.
In addition to the funding generated through membership and private hire, it is hoped that our new member's club will further deepen SJF's charitable impact by providing a network of supportive employers, mentors and friends, all of whom have the courage to challenge the status quo to make communities in Bath and North East Somerset stronger. We believe creative conversations will spark as like-minded people, who care about social change, come together.
In order for our model to work, we will strive to deliver an outstanding members club: Set across five floors, comprising individual office space and desks, the building has been exquisitely designed. While staying true to the building's Grade 1 listed status, high-end, contemporary fixtures, fittings and fast broadband bring the working space bang up to date. Stylish kitchen and toilet facilities are on every floor, along with showers and bike lockups at lower ground level. On the first floor is a double fronted space overlooking Queen Square that can be hired for events and functions. The building will be accessible to members 24/7 and we have teamed up with local suppliers to deliver made-to-order meals as required.
As Head of House (General Manager) we will be looking to you to lead this work, shaping our membership and communications strategies and curating the member experience within One Queen Square. The role requires strong entrepreneurial flair, strategic and commercial acumen, previous related experience and a desire to have a social impact by inspiring others to achieve the same.
We recognise this is a unique role and that candidates might come forward from a range of backgrounds. We are looking for a very special person to fulfil this role, an 'all-rounder' with a range of skills who is pragmatic and also able to bring energy and fun to One Queen Square. Not only will you be the 'face' of St John's for our members, but you will also be actively involved in membership recruitment and retainment, organising and hosting events (online initially and, when the Covid situation abates, on site), managing media engagement and working with our Comms Team to best market both One Queen Square and the wider St John's Foundation. You will be creative in ensuring One Queen Square represents an amazing environment in which to work or spend time and you will relish the challenge to inspire the membership to encourage and drive change that makes Bath and its surrounding areas an even better place to live, work or visit. In short, you will be responsible for running every aspect of One Queen Square and for ensuring it fulfils its commercial and social purposes.
Your background may be a private member's club, arts and culture organisation - or something else entirely. So long as you are able to demonstrate that you have the entrepreneurial talent, customer focused skills and aptitude to deliver, we welcome your application. We welcome applicants with both private and/or voluntary sector experience.
- Overall management of all aspects of One Queen Square to ensure it meets its commercial and social aims
- Acting as an ambassador for One Queen Square specifically, and SJF more widely, to our stakeholders
- Building our membership profile and strategy to increase acquisition and retention
- Ensuring an excellent membership experience
- Delivering membership income targets
- Working collaboratively with other teams across the SJF organisation to deliver the best possible service to members
- Managing media engagement and ensuring One Queen Square's unique blend of social and commercial use is clearly and widely communicated
- Developing a strong One Queen Square brand
- Planning and budgeting aligned to our annual cycle and developing and refining the One Queen Square model, as required
- Fostering and encouraging collaboration with partner organisations
- Managing our hospitality partners and suppliers
- Proven experience of leadership in a commercial environment and able to demonstrate entrepreneurial flair in a membership, leisure, hospitality, communications or audience-focused capacity
- Creatively driven, inspirational and culturally in tune with what is happening at both local and national level to develop/foster networks and partnerships
- Experience of event organisation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships
- Experience in communicating effectively at all levels
- Experience of leading a team and cross-team working
- Ability to multi-task, deliver under pressure and to deadlines
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Highly collaborative
- A commitment to St John's values
- Flexibility - the role will require some work outside standard hours
**FWD are working with St John's as retained recruitment partner on this high profile assignment. Please apply by sending an up to date cv if you would like to be considered. All third party (recruitment agency) and direct applications will be forwarded onto FWD for review.